Sunday 16 September 2012

Chatsworth ~ Beyond Limits ~ 2012/1

Sotheby's Beyond Limits exhibition at Chatsworth this year is different from previous years in that it features the work of one man ... the late Barry Flanagan.

There are 15 exhibits on show and I was unsure whether I would be as enthralled as I usually am. I felt sure I would prefer more variety.

The first exhibit was Large Mirror Nijinski ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

... and I realised as soon as I saw the two sculptures that photographing them in the rose garden was not going to be easy ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

... there was always somebody coming into the photograph or other things intruding ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

So I tried photographing them individually ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

... but I had to get the angle just right ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

... which I often didn't.

Eventually I went away and came back later taking photographs from a different angle ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

... or two ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

I decided that it didn't matter if I didn't get the perfect photograph. Half the fun was in just looking at them from different angles ...

Beyond Limits ~ 2012

16 comments:

  1. Not my favourite exhibits but interesting to see,I like the last photo,looks better without the plinth to me.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn between loving hares ... and not being overkeen on these stylised ones. Yes these plinths don't really add much except height. Not my favourite exhibit !

      Delete
  2. I found it interesting in the challenge it presented in getting good photographs rather than too much enthusiasm for the piece itself. I think the last photo is probably the best of the individual shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bearing in mind I use a hand held Panasonic Lumix camera I'm reasonably pleased with the photographs. I have this constant problem of whether to travel light [and use the Panasonic DMC-TZ10 which I slip into my trouser pocket] or take out my SLR with another lens and a tripod [all of which I possess]. Once again the lighter and more convenient equipment won the day. I suppose on a day out at Chatsworth I could take the bigger stuff as it's not a walk ... which makes me think, because I will be going again.

      Am I a walker or a photographer first ... I think we all know the answer to that.

      14 more exhibits to go !

      Delete
  3. Approve of them or not...the whimsical quality always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy all the different angles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane ... that's good of you to say.

      Delete
  5. I am tickled with # 2,3,4 Sometimes first impressions are the best. I need to catch up on weeks of blogs but thank you for a little diversion here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " I need to catch up on weeks of blogs but thank you for a little diversion here." ~ always pleased to be of service.

      Delete
  6. I like the photograph of them with the flowers below, as they seem to be a joyful pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see what you mean Jenny. It's as though they're there kicking the ball backwards and forwards while no one's looking

      Delete
    2. Excellent mental image! Maybe the Troubador wanders down at night time, to be a one-hare Pukka Pies Band for them as they play. LOL

      Delete
    3. Now that would be nice ...

      Delete
  7. I don't think I like whimsical that much, so they don't do much for me. I like the last pic best I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am full of whimsy ... at least I think that is what it is.

      Delete