Thursday 6 September 2012

Anglian Man

Since I retired I have been beset by telephone calls and knocks at the door from people who think I want to spend my life insulating my loft, putting in [even more] double glazing and suing people because I have been sold various [what they think are dodgy] insurances ...

Take yesterday ...

I was feeling fairly drained after visiting hospital to learn the results of my latest PSA bloodtest when a knock came at the door.

I answered it to be met by a young man looking very smart with a shirt and tie and gel in his hair ... though I did notice his shirt sleeves were too long.

He was from the Anglia he said ... "I see you've got double glazing but I wondered if you had any other doors that wanted doing ..."

"I've just come back from hospital to be honest and I'm not really in the mood ... I've been having chemotherapy * ... "

Did he pick up on the hint that I couldn't really give a toss ?

No ... he soldiered on ...

"Do you think there might be some work you want doing in the next six months ?"

 I let him have a barrel.

"Mate ... I could be dead in six months so double glazing is the last thing I'm thinking of ..."

That did the trick. He said he was sorry [in a bumbling sort of way] and went.

I shook my head, smiled slightly and went inside. 


* Well I have had chemotherapy ... he just didn't know it was five months ago. I do feel slightly bad about that.

13 comments:

  1. I had a good laugh about that,even if it was a little white lie.They are so annoying,he deserved it so don't feel guilty.Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how thick-skinned they are ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the absolute truth. I have been know to say I was just stepping out, or have a dentis appointment, when someone phones and wants to visit and they aren't my favorite person to spend time with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember to hit preview to edit before publishing. dentisT

      Delete
    2. Don't tell anyone but I am perfectly happy spending large amounts of time on my own Karyn. A lot of people just don't get it ...

      Delete
  4. I feel a bit sorry for them, as it has to be a godforsaken occupation going around from door to door being shouted at and having the doors closed on their noses. Jobs aren't that easy to come by these days and in that sort of job you don't earn decent money unless you achieve sales - so I understand where they are coming from. Regrettably, it doesn't make them any easier to deal with and they, without fail, always knock on the door at exactly the wrong time! Charlie, you are in this situation through no fault of your own - who could blame you for using it in circumstances where it can benefit you? I applaud your quick thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother sold double glazing for a time but he couldn't keep it up. Like you I feel sorry for them and others who go knocking at doors trying to make a living. Unfortunately I have had enough of it, especially after a hospital visit ... and I wasn't rude :-)

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm going to bite. Well, no, not bite ... just ask the question that I've been thinking about ever since you wrote that blog years ago, about getting double glazing. What is double glazing? Is it getting storm windows put on your normal windows? (And I don't know where I pulled that "normal windows" phrase from ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double glazing is having two thicknesses of glass ~ there is a gap between the two panes and they are in a sealed unit. Does that make sense ? 'Normal windows' is fine ...

      Delete
  6. I love it....do you think I could borrow that line to get rid of salesmen at my door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try ... it certainly stopped this chap in his tracks. In fact I had a job stopping myself smirking.

      Delete