Tuesday 17 September 2013

Ticking away ~ Day 1056 ... oh, that's a bit of a blow.

After a week of scans, bloodtests and what have you I turned up at hospital this morning wondering if I was fit enough to join the Clinical Trial I had been screened for ...

The doctor asked how my back felt and I told her that it had started to feel easier. She then informed me that the MRI scan showed that cancer cells had got into my spine and this had resulted in some compression of the vertebrae. As a result the only course of action she could recommend was radiotherapy ... starting today.

The chances of being involved in the clinical trial are obviously reduced but they are going to ascertain whether I can still take part if the radiotherapy is effective ...

By about midday I was once more being irradiated (you feel nothing) and I was home by 2-ish. I will now have treatment for the next four days (excluding the weekend). I have been warned about the possibility of increased pain (at least initially) so I need to keep my painkillers close by.

It's a blow. I have always been able to console myself with the thought that I would get better in a few days time ... or a week ... or a month.

I will prevail for as long as I can.

It is two years and two days since I retired. Here I am enjoying a pint as a newly retired Legal Executive ...
Me in the Old Poet's Corner, Ashover

15 comments:

  1. Oh Charlie. You are right, of course, that is a blow. But then, any news that isn't good news is a blow at this stage. *sigh* Don't let this bring you down for long, eh? You just can't stop thinking that you're going to get better in a few days, because that's where the corner you need to turn is. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, steadily and consistently. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still wishing for the best... keeping fingers crossed, you still might be able to go for the clinical trial. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie, I hardly know what to say. At least there is treatment ... and you're getting it. You're fighting the good fight. I hope that you feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of a blow indeed. Just got back and popped in to see how you are. But they are still giving treatment and not ruling out the trial. Best wishes, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Charlie - Sorry for the setback, but you sound positive and that's a good thing.

    Our thoughts are with you and we will be popping in to see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charlie sorry to hear you are in some pain,hope they can they can help you cope with it.I have been wondering how you were getting on while we were away,then we get back and had no phone or PC until today,so first thing was your blog.Been to Mull where they have Bowman's coaches so always think of you when we see them.Take care Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about this set-back, Charlie. But just keep looking at it as that.....just a set-back. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to go on the clinical trial. Try to keep your spirits up as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up after a week away. Sorry to hear your news Charlie. Keep your spirits up, they have not said no to the trial so there is still the possibility. Take care and hope the radiotherapy helps with your back. Best wishes June (@weegiewalker).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Charlie! You dear sweet man! I've been reading and meaning to write but I never seem to be able to put words together properly these days! You have constantly been in my thoughts despite my quietness... I am praying this treatment proves useful and you manage to gain access to the trial (and I simply feel certain you will!). Please rest and keep your strength about you... and know I'm sending you the most positive thoughts and vibes and smiles I can! ~Leora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind comments and support once more. I've had four out of the five 'doses' of radiotherapy I'm going to have and I've felt very tired ~ I didn't get out of bed until midday today.

    I feel happy enough in myself, reading and what have you, I'm just taking it easy.

    Hopefully I will pick up during the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know you are looking after yourself,rest as much as you can,we are all wishing you well.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann ~ I've always tended to try and fight these things and keep going but I think right now I need to recharge my batteries.

      Delete
  12. I remember that picture. You had new glasses frames didn't you? I can't believe you feel nothing when you are hit with radiation. That is really a weird concept for me to absorb. It has been 1056 days that you have afforded me more time with you and delight in your personality and your special way of bloggig. Please 'prevail' for a long, long time more. My prayers will go out to you, usually at about 2:00 AM during my meditations time, but that is Pacific Standard Time. I have not idea what time that would be in England. I am settled into a retirement suite now so can keep track of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember having new frames but you could well be right Karyn.

      Since I typed this I have experienced more pain in my back [they said it might happen] and so I'm trying to take it easier than ever, Thank you for those prayers ... I will look forward to seeing/hearing more from you.

      Delete