Monday 16 September 2013

A Farm Journal ~ 1st to the 19th January 1870 ...

My great great great uncle John Bayliff Bowman lived at Summer Hill, near Monyash in the County of Derby. 

The Bowman family, who were Quakers, had three farms, One Ash Grange [which John Bayliff Bowman often referred to as O.A.], Cales and Summer Hill [which he usually referred to as S.Hill or S.H.]

John Bayliff Bowman is fourth from the left in the photo below ...
The Bowman family
 A Farm Journal continues :~

1870

1st Mo[nth] 7th day filling kiln in Moss Field

3 - 4 Fine day M[onthly] M[eeting] at B[akewe]ll S.A. & I there to Ashford to dine - self to Chester even[in]g

5 - 6 Fine day at C. met Mr. Taylor at Elphicks agreed to sign bond to be prep[are]d £250 - looked over Farm at S[an]dyCroft busy thrash[in]g - back as far as M[an]chester

6 - 7 Fine & mild RA & I to Longstone met Maria & John [surname indecipherable] & Willy S.A. met me home in even[in]g

7 - 8 Fine [Brownson here to take inventory of effects 3 - 4] lead[in]g manure at S.H.

5 - 13 Thrash[e]d at Cales in even[in]g attended meet[in]g in Methodist Chapel called by W[illia]m Meader - of the divided sect of Friends - W.M. spoke nicely said that his mission was not to call to this sector the other but to invite all to come to Jesus & be saved to work out their own salvation - to come out from the evil & look to our own states not knowing how long we may be spared Invited them here to lodge & took them down to M.A.'s in morn[in]g - hope there was no harm done

2nd day 17 Very foggy B[akewe]ll market & Farmers club dinner - did not dine - on to Ashford to tea home even[in]g 

3 & 4 winterly weather - lead[in]g manure out Cales - fin[isin]g plough[in]g S.H. etc - Fine frosty weather  

4 comments:

  1. I especially like it when he writes about the meetings. Good to read, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like to read these Pet ~ perhaps I could add that there are a number of others who read them via Twitter and Facebook :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Charlie. Sorry I'm commenting so late, but I've been away this past week, visiting my parents and then one of my online friends.

    I'm wondering what they would be filling the kiln with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem Mitch ~ as you know I have been otherwise preoccupied too.

      I would think they were prepare the kiln for firing so that they could spread lime on the fields.

      Delete