Wednesday 25 September 2013

A Farm Journal ~ 20th to the 31st January 1870 ... John leaves Summer Hill

My great great great uncle John Bayliff Bowman lived at Summer Hill, near Monyash in the County of Derby. 

The Bowman family, who were Quakers, had three farms, One Ash Grange [which John Bayliff Bowman often referred to as O.A.], Cales and Summer Hill [which he usually referred to as S.Hill or S.H.]

John Bayliff Bowman is fourth from the left in the photo below ...

The Bowman family

 A Farm Journal continues :~

6 day 20 Hard frost began to get implements set out in Square at S.H. ready for sale & gears blacked etc

7 - 21 Ditto work & weather

2 day 24 Hard frost with a little snow on gr[oun]d few showers during the day

1870 1st Mo[nth] 2nd day 24 1st Sale day at Summer Hill cattle horses & carriages, had a very good sale

3 - 25 2nd days sale ditto weather implements etc - things sold well not a very large company

4 - 26 no sale

5 - 27 Ditto weather 3rd days sale furniture good sale on the whole the best furniture made the worst out -

6 - 28 Ditto weather Valuation at S.H. & packed the cart

7 - 29 Ditto weather Valuation at Cales - final - down to Ashford in evening Isaac went with me to help me carry my things

1 - 30 Fine frosty day at Ashford - to M[an]chester in even[in]g - lodged at the Cathedral Hotel & off by 6.40am

2 - 31 to Chester & on to Queens Ferry & Sandycroft Fine day Taylor-Churton & his clerk met I paid ch[eque ?] £2000 which was telegraph[e]d to Bakewell about no answer had to go to Chester arr[ive]d & rec[eive]d telegram & there was end of the transaction [word indecipherable] inventory & possessions of farm lodged at Hop Pole & to breakfast with Taylor at Grosvnor [?] & on to Sandycroft again - met our folks with the trap 12 oClock at Queens Ferry - all well - self on mare in even[in]g - to Cherry orchard to John Fishers - bo[ugh]t 10 sturks £9 each & then to Green End farm & bo[ugh]t lot of ewes £2 - 8/- & home - sore throat - sent Chas Wright with mare to meet Jesse - self worse had mustard plaster on throat - & went to bed - Jesse arr[ive]d all right very wet night did not unload so had to sleep between blankets self rolled & toss[e]d all night no sleep  

11 comments:

  1. Seems like the end of an era, if I'm understanding it properly ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something is happening ... but I haven't read ahead.

      Delete
  2. I feel quite sad John has left the area,as his diary was interesting to me as I knew where he was talking about. Look forward to hearing how they get on in their new life.Good to see you back again Charlie.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I'm trying to take it easy and not overdo it. As for John we will have to await developments.

      Delete
  3. This would explain those earlier trips. The end of an era, indeed. I'm assuming JBB kept journals at his new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm the journal continues Mitch.

      Delete
  4. Like Ann I feel sad I really enjoyed the posts about their life at the farm, I hope there is more entries to come about their new place/life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...mustard plasters.....my Nanny used to put them on us as children....she came from Epsom....about 10 years ago I had to go onto the Internet to find out how to make one for a friend who insisted that was all she needed, and some mentholated Vicks ointment on the bottoms of her feet. Old Man still wants mentholated ointment on the bottoms of his feet when he is under the weather as his mother used to do that for him. I am sure there is no scientific reason for it relieving him but .......I will humour him as he seems to sleep better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have mentioned that my mother used to make a poultice to draw out boils and carbuncles etc. I'm not quite sure whether that worked either.

      Delete