Thursday 11 March 2010

Rowsley and Beeley ~ a new walk for Teashop Walks in the Peak District.

With the teashops at Elton and Youlgreave closing since the original book came out five years ago I had to find some replacements nearby. Not surprisingly I plumped for Caudwells Mill and so had to plan a walk from Rowsley.

From the Peacock I walked up Church Lane and took the muddy, messy path that passes under what used to be the railway line running up to Buxton ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

   Picking my way through the mud and slurry [I'm avoiding a particular word for those who are faint of heart] things got better as I got further away from Rowsley. A vandalised waymark reminded me that I was following the Derwent Valley Heritage Way ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

 When I got to Calton Lees, a Chatsworth Estate village, I noticed this sign on a gate I passed through. I had seen no cows or calves though ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

 It might put some people off I would have thought.

I was then in the Chatsworth Estate village of Calton Lees. You can always tell which houses are owned by Chatsworth as they are painted this colour blue ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

Once I'd got past the garden centre and crossed the old stone bridge I walked across the large field towards Beeley.

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009


  Further on in the field [it's a big field] I passed these old Derwent Valley Water Board features. I assume they are for inspection purposes or perhaps to let out any gases ?

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

I looked back towards Chatsworth ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

... I said it was a big field. 

After crossing the road I walked through the churchyard in Beeley. I've never been in the church here and hardly in the churchyard ...

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

In Beeley there's a strange, stone structure that baffles me. I half thought they might have been stocks but I don't really think so.

Any ideas ? 

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

From Beeley I headed across the fields towards Rowsley, crossing this footpath that runs uphill towards Burntwood quarry as I went.

Rowsley and Beeley ~ 29th December 2009

Date of walk ~ 29th December 2009

Length of walk ~ 4 1/4 miles

Total since 1st September 2009 ~ 122 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment