Thursday 25 March 2010

New Year's Day 2010

The 1st day of January 2010 was a cool, clear, sunny day and the drive across to Bradfield was enjoyable despite the ice on the roads ...

There was just enough room to park in Low Bradfield as people were getting out to start the New Year with a walk ... and probably sober up too.

My Beloved stayed at home which was a pity.

I walked along the icy path on the southern side of Damflask Reservoir.

As you may know I have an interest in memorial plaques. It may be morbid but there it is. I found three or four on this walk. Here's the first ...

New Year's Day 2010

... and here's the frosted wreath on the seat ...

New Year's Day 2010

 Just beyond the seat a couple of barking dogs were bounding towards me ...

New Year's Day 2010

Their elderly owner was sat having a cigarette on a bench further on, not really bothered that his dogs were in danger of legging me up. As though the ice wasn't bad enough.

 Then I found the second seat ...

New Year's Day 2010

Just before I took the path rising steeply up Rickett Bank a number of ducks swam towards me, expecting some food I suppose.

New Year's Day 2010

 Up the hill from Damflask Reservoir is the village of Dungworth. As you enter the village, there's a stone carved stone and I'm not quite sure what it rpresents ...

New Year's Day 2010

On the right hand side of the stone some words have been carved ...

New Year's Day 2010

They read ... 

"2000 AD
My life
My love
My Children"
 
I have found out that this work was undertaken by Stoneface and you can learn a little bit more about this carving, and some others, at http://www.stonefacesculpture.com/stoneface-commissions.htm
 
On the northern side of the reservoir I spotted a third plaque which caught my eye ...

New Year's Day 2010

 
Then I walked back into the valley and after a little while I was strolling, in the sunshine, along the path on the northern side of Damflask Reservoir ...

New Year's Day 2010

back towards Low Bradfield ...

New Year's Day 2010

 A young woman sat admiring the view ...

New Year's Day 2010

It was such a lovely picture that I took quite a few photos, but I've limited myself to just showing a couple on here. Thank goodness she didn't see me snapping away ...

New Year's Day 2010

I was nearly back in Low Bradfield ~ just time for one more shot ...

New Year's Day 2010

 Date of walk ~ 1st January 2010

Length of walk ~ 4 3/4 miles

Total since 1st September 2009 ~ 134 3/4 miles.

1 of 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment