Wednesday 27 March 2013

Who do I think I am ? [14] ~ are these two photographs of the same man ? An update !

Simple question really. 

Are these two photographs of the same man ?


I know the photo on the right is my great great grandfather Ebenezer Bowman who was born on the 18th December 1821. A Quaker, he lived at One Ash Grange, Monyash, though by 1891 according to the Census Return and aged 70, he was living at The Common, Brimington, near Chesterfield.

The photograph on the left has been scanned from a negative photograph and then I was able to make it a positive. On the back of the photograph it says "Ebenezer Bowman when he was an old man ?". It's the question mark that throws some doubt on this being Ebenezer. It's in my writing as well.

What do you think ? 


Added on the 29th March 2013 after 14 comments [including seven responses by me].

It occurred to me that the photo of the older Ebenezer [having been scanned from a negative] also needed to be reversed or flipped so as to show how he really looked. Here is that reversed image ...

Is this my great great grandfather Ebenezer Bowman ?

This shows Ebenezer's parting on the right side of his head and usually a parting only works on one side doesn't it ? More importantly this shows not a cleft in his chin but a small scar. If you look at the younger photo it is more obvious. It is also just to the right of centre of his chin. Anyway, I tend to think I agree with everyone that this looks like the same man ... with perhaps 30 years or more between them.

16 comments:

  1. I always look at the eyes and I'd say it's the same man. Not easy though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so do I Jacqueline ... the nose looks different though. It *is* supposed to be Ebenezer Bowman [unless it's one of his brothers]. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I think it's the same man, Charlie. A very good-looking one, at both ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pet ... as I may have mentioned before the younger Ebenezer reminds me of Alan Bates, the actor.

      Delete
  3. I think it's the same man he looks as if he as a cleft in his chin,still has the same expression too.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann ~ I hadn't noticed the cleft in his chin.

      Delete
  4. I would say there's a high likelihood that it's the same man. Too many similarities. Hair has a tendency to become 'wings' over the ears in both shots, mouth has a slight downward turn, with a thin top lip, chin the same shape. I don't think there's enough definition in the 'young' shot to compare the shape of the nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right the shot of the younger Ebenezer isn't as clear as the later one.

      Delete
  5. I think it's the same man, the way his skin was at the root of his nose still is doing the same on the older version, plus all the other similarities unless he was an identical twin I would say it's the same man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he wasn't an identical twin ... as far as I know.

      Delete
  6. Everyone seems to be going for it being the same man, and I think I'm coming round to their way of thinking after originally thinking it might not be. My view was based on the nose, which appears convex in the older photo but concave in the younger one. However, having considered the cleft chin and the eyes I'm prepared to discount my nasal theory... Yes Charlie, it's the same man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the nose that concerned me Ian ... await a further revelation !

      Delete
  7. I scrolled down until I had just the eyes and bridge of the nose in shot - and immediately it was the same man. Scroll down a little further and you start to wonder - until you notice that the beard is growing into the cleft chin. Yup. I'd say it's the same fellow, even if he has begun parting his hair on the opposite side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed [surprised ?] that everyone thinks it's the same man ... but I have done something with the photo of the older Ebenezer which I will add shortly ... hopefully.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. We've not had one person say it's not him ... and it's interesting how people use different features to confirm their thoughts. Thanks Karyn.

      Delete