Thursday 21 March 2013

Hardwick Hall ~ my favourite National Trust property.

A couple of years ago I walked around Hardwick Hall. I'd just gone part time and now I could explore places like this without having to take other people into consideration. This was a novelty. Here are some of the photographs I took that day ...

Very late 16th century plasterwork towards the beginning of the tour ...

Hardwick Hall ...

The Muniment Room ~  "This unique and fascinating room contained 'muniments' relating to the Hardwick estates. Legally, muniments are the title deeds and other documentary evidence relating to who owns land." The room is small and rather dark and the use of flash is forbidden. The walls are made up of these boxes from floor to ceiling ... 

Hardwick Hall ...

 The High Great Chamber ... again no flash can be used so the images could have been sharper ...

Hardwick Hall ...

The frieze is late 16th century and impressive in detail. Are these three men putting on pattens over their indoor shoes ?

Hardwick Hall ...

  The Long Gallery with a portrait of Queen Elizabeth I at the far end ...

Hardwick Hall ...

  The portrait of Queen Elizabeth I is dated 1592 and is over five feet by seven feet. There is more information here and you should be able to click on the image of the portrait for an enlarged version and see all the flowers and creatures embroidered on the Queen's dress. In the meantime here's my photograph ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Next up was the Green Velvet Room, described as the Best Bedchamber in a 1601 inventory. The bed is 18th century and the tapestries are late 16th century ...

Hardwick Hall ...  

I moved from room to room, sometimes forgetting to note the name of the room, as here ...

Hardwick Hall ...  

I didn't need any signage for the next few rooms ...

Hardwick Hall ...

 Hardwick Hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

The Dining Room, with "the Elizabethan overmantel of 1597" ...

Hardwick Hall ...

... an Elizabethan overmantel which contains these words ...

Hardwick Hall ...

In a room nearby one piece of furniture had this notice on it ...

Hardwick Hall ...

After wandering around for an hour or more I adjourned to the old kitchen and partook of some good food ...

Hardwick Hall ...

The restaurant is now in the old stableyard ~ this meal was in the original kitchen with pewter plates and dishes on the walls.

Outside I walked through the garden and took a number of views of the hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

  Hardwick Hall ...


Hardwick Hall ...

 In the garden the hellebores were in flower ...

Hardwick Hall ...

In the photo below you can pick out the initials 'ES' on the roof of the hall. 'ES' standing for Elizabeth Shrewsbury [otherwise Bess of Hardwick] ...

Hardwick Hall ...

 On the green near the old stableyard, a couple of carved benches ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Before heading back to the car I grabbed a few final shots of the hall [as if you haven't seen enough] and garden ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

Hardwick Hall ...

  This year the car park has been moved from one side of Hardwick Hall to the other. I wonder whether they will move the memorial in respect of the British Airborne Forces from the old car park ?


Hardwick Hall ...

We have a number of National Trust properties in Derbyshire but Hardwick Hall is the one I enjoy going back to time after time.

8 comments:

  1. Bess of Hardwick was quite a girl,It's a while since we visited Hardwick it looks well kept.Love the notice( I am old and fragile) just like me.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Bess of Hardwick's biography though whether I get the time to read it remains to be seen. She was obviously quite something. Yes the 'old and fragile' starts to ring a bell with me nowadays.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Charlie. Another interesting tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pet ~ I'm glad you found it of interest.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderfully well-preserved place Hardwick Hall is!! Great set of photos made it a fascinating tour. The 'Muniment Room' is particularly fascinating for some reason, I want to open those drawers, investigate the papers inside. It has beautiful grounds, too. I love those carved benches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos Mitch ~ some of them are slightly dodgy with the light being rather subdued. Yes, the muniment room is fascinating. It's got the name of a different place on each drawer and I thought about Monyash and my Bowman ancestors who were tenants of the Dukes of Devonshire who owned Hardwick Hall back in those days. The drawers are now empty unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. I was about to publish a long comment and it disappeared. I am having trouble learning new tricks on Windows 8. After a while one gets terrified of touching a key. I can't figure out why the cursor jumps all over the screen and away from the sentence I am formulating. However, I appreciate your posting of photos of Hardwick Hall. Are you sure you didn't use your flash? I wonder about the middle bathroom photo. Is it like the places they have in hospitals to dump the bedpans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Windows 8 Karyn so I can only imagine what you're going through ...

      As for flash, no, I didn't use it at all. The bathrooms were cold, austere and not the sort of place you would want to hang around in for long, especially naked.

      Delete