Saturday 16 March 2013

Ticking away ... Day 867 ~ the low side of normal ...

Six visits to hospitals and a medical centre in eight days ... and now I've got a bit of a break, not literally thankfully.

I'm not going to go into details as regards the visits you will be pleased to hear but I can show you a photograph of my mallet finger in its splint made especially for me by one of the therapists at the Pulvertaft Hand Centre within the Royal Derby Hospital ...

The splint on my mallet finger ...

Except when I wash my finger every four or five days the splint has got to stay on for eight weeks and then for four weeks during the night after that. If I bend the end joint of my finger once in that time then we're back to square one. Oh boy.

The most important visit though was probably the last one on Wednesday [Day 864] when the doctor at the Chesterfield Royal Hospital told me everything seemed to be going ok in the circumstances and, wonder of wonders, my potassium level is up to the low side of normal [namely 3.5]. What have I been doing that resulted in this revelation ? My theory is that it's the red wine ... I need more red wine.

After the good news Jamie and I adjourned to the Cafe@theRoyal and had a bacon bap each ... well Jamie had two.

We walked to the car and a photograph was taken. The old boy's hair seems to be getting whiter ...

Me after another check-up at the Cavendish Suite, Chesterfield Royal Hospital

I am in good spirits and enjoying life. 

12 comments:

  1. Good to hear things are going well Charlie,you are looking good.At first glance I thought you had red nail varnish on,enjoy the wine.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, I'm feeling good too. Yes, the splint is made of red plastic and looks like a fingernail. I've had a few looks ... I could have gone for black and dark blue instead of red.

      Delete
  2. Having to wear that splint must be an annoying inconvenience, but I'm pleased to hear that in all other respects things are good at the moment :-)) Red wine and bacon baps surely must be having a beneficial effect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red wine and bacon baps sounds like a winning combination Mitch. Yes the splint is a nuisance but it's better than the other splint I was wearing. That kept catching on all sorts of things ~ mainly because it was a little too long.

      Delete
  3. I hope that everything is going well, Charlie. Don't ever think that we don't want to know how you are (and the details), because we do. The new splint does look more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evertyhting is going as well as it can Pet. I'm not getting carried away with the news I still ache and have a few grumbles so I am enjoying each day as much as I can. As regards regular updates my blogs on here carry through to Facebook and Twitter and I would hate to overdo it ... but thank you for the reassurance.

      Delete
  4. You have such well-groomed nails. Did you go for a manicure and pedicure before visiting the hospital? I must confess I had never heard of mallet finger before, but it doesn't sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never have a manicure or a pedicure. I do have some nail clippers though. The mallet finger doesn't hurt Karyn, it's just a nuisance.

      Delete
  5. OH.. this is so good to hear.. and well, we all are getting a bit whiter in the hair business,,, and Yes.. As Karyn has stated.. you have some very well groomed nails...

    So,, what are bacon baps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the news is good for now ... as for my nails I don't take too much trouble with them but I always look at people's nails if I can. I hate dirty nails. I dislike bitten nails. As for bacon baps there are some images here ~ http://goo.gl/4aLH0

      Delete
  6. Just be careful when you raise your hand, Charlie; the stiff finger might give the wrong impression. Looking good still though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have in fact held my finger up to one or two people to show them ... and then realised.

      Delete