Friday 9 November 2012

Beyond 'Beyond Limits' ...

Here are a few more features I saw when I was at Chatsworth a couple of months ago.

The first is a fan of a Rolls Royce jet engine ...

Another [dusty] sculpture ... at Chatsworth  

... it needs a duster running round it !

After the Conservative Wall I included in a recent blog here's a more modern greenhouse built in 1970 ...

One of Chatsworth's greenhouses ...

Here's the same greenhouse beside a more traditional greenhouse on the right and the Conservative Wall in the background ...

Two greenhouses and the Conservative Wall ... at Chatsworth

After discovering the gravestone in memory of the tame red deer earlier in the day I then noticed another gravestone erected in memory of Smut, Grandpa ... and others ...

Another memorial ... at Chatsworth

Smut and Grandpa etc appear to have lived for 12 to 15 years so I assume they are dogs.

Then on its own nearby was a stone in memory of Portly who was born in 1951 and died in 1962 ...

... and yet another memorial ... at Chatsworth.  

Why Portly was buried on his or her own I don't know. What Portly was I don't know.

A bit of a mish-mash of photographs but it gives you an idea as to the variety in the garden at Chatsworth. You could easily spend an hour or two looking around. They're worth a visit but even more so when the Beyond Limits exhibition is on. Then you can spend a couple of hours just looking at the sculptures in that exhibition.

10 comments:

  1. That looks like the HP fan on a RB211. The pointed end is to keep ice off the dome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a man who knows his stuff ... thanks Chuck.

      Delete
  2. Love the design of the fan,the memorial with grandpa on makes me smile.It's a good thing it has the age on it,otherwise people in the future might think we are rather odd.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back people will probably think us odd, especially the bloggers Ann.

      Delete
  3. Nice variety of shots. I really like that fan. I'd love to know who 'Portly' was. I have this mental image of a large overweight dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitch ~ 'Portly' does sound like an overweight dog doesn't it. A pug perhaps ?

      Delete
  4. I enjoy the mish-mash. Isn't our world fantastic. I don't understand people who are couch potatoes when there is so much to see outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much better when there's a bit of sunshine about ...

      Delete
  5. It's such a glorious place...I could wander happily for hours.

    ReplyDelete