Friday 26 July 2013

A Farm Journal ~ from the 16th to the 30 June 1869 ...

My great great great uncle John Bayliff Bowman lived at Summer Hill, near Monyash in the County of Derby. 

The Bowman family, who were Quakers, had three farms, One Ash Grange [which John Bayliff Bowman often referred to as O.A.], Cales and Summer Hill [which he usually referred to as S.Hill or S.H.]

John Bayliff Bowman is fourth from the left in the photo below ...
 
The Bowman family

 A Farm Journal continues :~
 
4 - 16 Ditto shear[e]d a few in aft[ernoo]n - sold J.Critchlow 3 fat pigs £18 5/- & 6 fat ewes 40/-

5 - 17 to 7 - 19 Showery shear[in]g when fit

1 - 20 fine

2 - 21 Fine day Irish men spud[din]g thistles etc
 
3 - 22 Ditto cheese from Cales to G.R.Baker @ 76/-
 
4 - 23 Dull but fair sold cheese SH to Tho[ma]s Orr 70/-
 
5 - 24 Fine fetch[in]g grains to Cales 4 1/2 p[e]r strike del[ive]r[e]d
 
6 - 25 Ditto cheese to Longstone - rem[ainde]r of grains to Cales
 
7 - 26 Fine & hot finish[e]d shearing - horse hoing [sic] turnips (swedes) cut thickly - very dull gloomy week - swedes are very backward as if stunted & the fly has been uncommon busy - corn 1st sown looks pretty well but it is all backward owing to the prevalence of East wind for so long up to end of last week it was as cold almost as Xmas - Fine up to end of 6 mo[nth] - & warmer - began to thin swedes 
 
6 mo[nth] 2nd day 28 began to mow
 
 
[No further entries for June 1869]  

6 comments:

  1. I always wonder what sort of cheese it was,must be good as he sells plenty.Interesting to see Irish men spudding the thistles a job I've done in my time.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've wondered that Ann. Would it be Cheddar ? I know Stilton has been around for a few centuries ...

      By spudding thistle do you mean fetching them up at the root or lopping them off just above ground level ?

      Delete
  2. I, too, was wondering about the cheese. I'm guessing it was good. These days, the mass-produced cheeses seem to lack any real character, but when I find a good locally-produced cheese, the flavour is usually so must better.

    What is 'spudding thistles' ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm supposed to lay off the cheese a bit ... but it is very difficult. I suppose we'll never know what type it was Mitch.

      As for spudding thistles, I've asked Ann [see above] !

      Delete
  3. Hi Charlie,spudding thistles is chopping them off just under the ground to chop the thick taproot.The spud is like a miniature spade with a long handle.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann ~ I don't ever recall spudding thistles so I've learnt something and I have certainly never seen a spud !

      Delete