Sunday 27 October 2013

In the Derwent Valley ... not a recent walk !

Before anyone thinks I've been walking over five miles in the last few weeks please let me disillusion you as this walk took place over two years ago.

I walked from my home in Darley Dale towards St. Helen's Church and got as far as the Peak Rail signal box on Church Road ...

P1040544

 Notice anything unusual about this feature ?

In the churchyard a few hundred yards later this 17th century stone had recently been cleaned up by the look of it ...

P1040545

Follow the Derwent Valley Heritage Way to this substantial stile between the church and Darley Bridge ...

P1040548  

This footpath signpost was cleaned up and painted by a couple of local footpath workers when they worked on the Derwent Valley Heritage Way with the County Council. One of them was Joe Clark who lives in Darley Dale ...


P1040551  

It's the local cricket club's 150th birthday this year. I wonder how many other village clubs are that old ?

P1040552  

The River Derwent passes under the centuries old bridge at Darley Bridge ...

P1040554  

I followed the river downstream on the far side of the bridge ....

P1040562  

It was good to see the allotments well used at Wenslees.

P1040564

I was now in the valley bottom and further on down the valley, beyond Matlock, Riber Hill was clearly visible ... albeit by using a zoom lens.

P1040566

 I took a path on my left in the village of Oker [Oaker if you prefer] ...

P1040570

 I walked beside the river until I reached the railway bridge on the edge of Matlock ...

P1040578  

I didn't pass under it though to follow the river into Matlock. I took the concessionary path across it and headed back into Darley Dale ...

P1040581

 Although it may not look it, it is fenced off.

I followed the path into the fields between the railway line and the river ...

P1040583  

I turned round and took a similar photograph to the one I took earlier of Riber Castle ...

P1040588

I rather liked this squeezer stile in one of the subsequent fields ...

P1040590  

There was plenty of sweet cicely beside the path ...

P1040595  

I discovered in the trees near the Red House that I'd never actually followed the proper line of the path. I couldn't this particular day either as the footbridge had been swept away ...

P1040596  

Perhaps someone can tell me what this sign beside the old railway line represents ...

P1040598  

I took the footpath beside the Red House Hotel to reach The Promenade ...

P1040600  

As I wandered back home it was good to see that the boating lake in the Whitworth Park had been restored and refilled with water ... though not for boating ...

P1040601  

 This walk was followed on the 16th May 2011
 
Length of walk ~ 5.48 miles *
 
Total mileage walked so far in 2011 ~ 191.43 miles
 
Total mileage between the 1st September 2009 and the 16th May 2011 ~ 713.17 miles

  42 of 2011 [which means in 2011 I was still averaging just over 4.5 miles a walk.]
 
* distance calculated on Ordnance Survey's Getamap

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful walk again Charlie and as usual lots of interest,I think there is perhaps no crossing there.I love the old stiles where the stone has been rubbed smooth with all the people passing through over the years.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Ann. The signal box has no glass ! The windows are painted ...

      Delete
  2. This was enjoyable, Charlie. I especially love the photograph of the sheep ... with the one standing patiently to have his/her picture taken. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure Pet. I'm pleased you like the photographs.

      Delete
  3. Lovely walk in very beautiful countryside. I always thought those signs beside the railway signified the gradient, but I don't really know how it is worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neil. Some of the signs do signify the gradient but on Facebook a friend [and the daughter of an engine driver] indicates that it's 146 and 3/4 of a mile to London.

      Delete
  4. Lovely verdant walk, Charlie!! I love the shots of Riber Castle in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitch ~ I rather like the first of the two shots of Riber ...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this very nice walk, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk and the photographs.

      Delete
  6. A lovely walk and set of photos, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete