Saturday 15 June 2013

A stroll around Stanton Moor and it was cool and grey ...

This stroll involved a largely uneventful walk around one of my favourite [nearby] places, Stanton Moor.

We entered the access land via one of the stockproof kissing gates ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

After passing the Cork Stone we took one of the less well used routes across the moor ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

 From up here it is quite easy to see what impact the new Arc Leisure Centre has had on Matlock ... it's certainly the most prominent white building ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

 You can just see Riber Castle's turrets sticking up above the horizon on the right hand side.

It was so cool on this particular April day that my Beloved kept her gloves on ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...  

We turned back as soon as we got to the Nine Ladies stone circle though the photograph below only shows seven standing stones. I assume there are two out of picture to the left !

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

 We made out way back along the main path across the moor ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

  I love these silver birches which stand near the stone circle.

There are signs of ancient earthworks across the moor and I always wonder what has been explored and what remains unknown. This tumulus shows signs of exploration.

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

 Inevitably we got back to the Cork Stone ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

 I took one final photo of the Cork Stone before leaving the moor. I'm just under six feet tall so looking up gives you an idea of its height ...

A stroll on Stanton Moor ...

This walk was followed on the 26th April 2011
 
Length of stroll ~ 1.78 miles *
 
Total mileage walked so far in 2011 ~ 142.07 miles
 
Total mileage between the 1st September 2009 and the 26th April 2011 ~ 670.12 miles

  32 of 2011 [which means in 2011 I was averaging just under 4.44 miles a walk.]
 
* distance calculated on Ordnance Survey's Getamap
 

12 comments:

  1. Another lovely glimpse into your world, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Nine Ladies stone circle but never found the cork stone,we must have taken a different path.Not sure if I will ever get there again,age is catching up with me.I believe they are turning Riber Castle into apartments,which will at least save it from ruin.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cork Stone isn't far from the Stanton/Birchover road Ann. There's a small (unofficial) roadside lay by just along the road from what used to be Twyford's Quarry. Walk up the path from there and you reach the Cork Stone. There's usually someone around so you can always ask where it is to check you're in the right place.

      Delete
  3. A nice short walk, Charlie. I remember the Nine Ladies and the Cork Stone from previous jaunts. Such a shame the stone was defaced by putting those iron bars on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say the iron bars have been in for quite a time. It makes you wonder who authorised it though.

      Delete
  4. Good to know something's happening to Riber - i have ancestral connections of the labouring kind. Elizabeth Wildgoose's grandson. I was last at the castle when it was a wildlife park, though I have driven up to the village within the last ten years. I haven't been to the stone circle though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Riber Castle s being converted into luxury apartments ~ imagine the view over Matlock from up there. That's interesting about your connection. The stone circle and Stanton Moor are well worth a visit. I love it up there.

      Delete
    2. If you're interested there's a newspaper article which mentions him (john Nuttall)- concerning the suicide of a man called Reuben Oscroft, in Sep 1872.
      Hugh Peak News and Derbyshire Times.

      I'll put those places on my "to visit" list!

      Delete
    3. I will have a look at this tomorrow aliqot ... thank you.

      Delete
  5. I will respond to your comments tomorrow ... I have to go and pick up something from Matlock and I'm short of time. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete