Wednesday 5 May 2010

I walk through the ruins of North America ...

Late January. The sun shines but the air is cold and thin. I walk out of the back of the car park at Langsett and follow the path along the top of Langsett Bank.

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

I trudge through a mile or so of trees before reaching a crossroads of bridleways ...

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

 I took the bridleway for Swinden and soon reached it ... in the process disturbing the sheep as they tucked into some hay.

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

 The sheep ignored me.

I followed the path through Crooklands Wood with the sun shining through the trees.

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

At the bridge at the tip of the reservoir I studied the interpretation panel ~  it indicated that if you switched on Bluetooth at certain points you would learn something about the spot you're standing at ... technology eh ?

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

There's a Peak and Northern footpath signpost there too ...

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

Then I walked south towards Hingcliff Common. I didn't get to the highest ground though as I turned east for North America. On my way the waters of Langsett Reservoir were visible. 

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

 Then I reached North America ...

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

Yes, it had been a farm. I assume it was demolished when the reservoir was built.

The waters of Langsett Reservoir looked really ominous ... black and forbidding.

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

 It was good to get to the Bank View Cafe on the northern side of the A616 in Langsett itself.

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

I'd not had a coffee stop on my walk for some reason and so I was hungry and thirsty. I ordered a cheese and onion toastie and a one pint mug of tea !  Would I be able to finish it ? You betcha !

Langsett ~ 30th January 2010

... and they say the English can't cook, eh ?

 Date of walk ~ 30th January 2010

Length of walk ~ 4 1/4 miles

Total walked so far in 2010 ~ 21 1/2 miles

Total walked since records began [er, 1st September 2009] ~ 151 1/2 miles

4 of 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment