Thursday 8 October 2009

Our days on the Earth are as a shadow

I didn't see one other walker ... and by that I mean another walker with a rucksack. I walked seven miles on a beautiful, sunny day in pleasant surroundings and didn't see one. There were dog walkers. There were fishermen. There were people messin' around on boats ... but no 'real' walkers ...

I parked just over Townend Bridge on the northern side of Hayton in Nottinghamshire and walked east and then north on Hollinhill Lane ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

I was heading towards a trig point on a Hill Without A Name, at least according to the OS Map ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

The trig point was nowhere to be seen when I got there.

I passed through Ash Holt and for some reason my senses seemed heightened, perhaps because I was alone ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

I reached the lane and walked up Haughgate Hill and could see Cottam Power Station in the valley five or six miles away ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

From here I strolled down the Roman Road towards North Wheatley but before I got there I  turned north along Northfield Leys Road, following the Trent Valley Way, nearly missing the waymark which was just about overgrown in the hedgebottom ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

 A tiny toad, no bigger than my thumbnail, just managed to avoid being crushed underfoot.

There were clumps of teazles.

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

 I walked through the main street of Clayworth, an attractive village beside the Chesterfield Canal, with a 12th century church ~ St. Peter's ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

And the church has an interesting sundial, which was a bit slow ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

 The words on the sundial read "Our days on the Earth are as a shadow".

Then it was down the lane opposite to join the Chesterfield Canal which I followed all the way back to Hayton.

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

On the way I passed the moorings of the Retford and Worksop Boating Club ~ there must have been nearly half a mile of boats, most of them narrow ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

Look, no one to be seen.

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

Beside the canal, a milestone, 3.5 miles from ... where ?

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

A milestone erected by a husband in memory of his wife ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

Before long I was back in Hayton where I dropped in at the Boat Inn for a hot dinner and a pint of Highland Whisky Ale brewed by Davenports. The same Davenports who used to do 'beer at home' I wondered ...

Hayton and Clayworth ~ 4th October 2009

Date of walk ~ 4th October 2009



Length of walk ~ 7 miles.


Total since 1st September 2009 ~ 38 1/2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment