Wednesday 9 September 2009

Walking through Rhodesia

I parked in the car park of the Lock Keeper in Worksop, with permission, and a rejoinder to the effect that I park there at my own risk ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


The Lock Keeper [as its name implies] stands right next to a lock on the Chesterfield Canal. Also next to the pub is bridge No. 41 ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


I walked westward and on the outskirts of Shireoaks passed under a low bridge ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


... just as a cyclist went past ....


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Just beyond Shireoaks is probably some of the prettiest canal side walking I know and yet there never seem to be that many walkers about ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


. There were quite a few fishermen though, although they have to watch where they fish ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


At Turnerwood there's a double lock. I stood on the small bridge and watched this narrowboat pass through ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


... to appear on the other side in front of Turnerwood Cottages ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


The mute swans were friendly [though I didn't try to find out how friendly] ....


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Anyone who has seen my blogs elsewhere will be aware of my unhealthy interest in memorials, especially quirky ones ...
From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009




At Turnerwood, in the last cottage on the right, you can get an ice cream, a coffee or a cup of tea most days. I opted for the ice cream, made locally ...
From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


No sooner had I taken this photograph than I licked the ice cream off the cone ... but caught it in my right hand ... and stuck it back on again.


I left the canal at this stage and followed the canal feeder towards Brancliffe Grange ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Nearer the grange the feeder splits and the water can be drunk by the horses in their paddock ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009




The route I was following passed through a wood which seems to be Moses' Seat according to the OS Map ...

Then I crossed Monk Bridge before walking along the footpath across Lindrick Golf Club, looking out for stray golfballs ...




From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Just beyond Lindrick Dale on the way to Fan Field Farm there's an unusual feature on a house ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


The photograph could be better, I know ... but the garden is too overgrown !  Here's another stab at it ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


I crossed the railway line behind Fan Field Farm.


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


When I got back to the canal I was beyond Turnerwood and this time I walked eastward back towards Turnerwood itself. Then I headed southward across the field to Bottom Farm. After walking along the first part of Thorpe Lane, I had intended to use a field path to Shireoaks Park but it had been ploughed and, to be honest, I was starting to think I was running out of time, so I stayed on the road to reach the edge of Shireoaks itself. Here I turned sharp right  and reached The Hall ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Now I know we have a heck of a lot of ancient buildings [or so it seems] but doesn't it seem a shame that this ancient hall is being left to deteriorate ...


From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


Who owns it ?

Oh yes ... Rhodesia. Well it's a collection of houses on the outskirts of Worksop ...

It has its own roadsign though ...

.From Worksop ~ 5th September 2009


I took four hours on this seven mile walk, taking photographs as I went.

Date of walk ~ 5th September 2009



Length of walk ~ 7 miles.

Total since 1st September 2009 ~ 13 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment